The leadership of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Akwa Ibom State Wing hereby suspends its industrial action earlier declared against the Akwa Ibom State Government from midnight of Tuesday 15th March 2022.
This is due to the outcome of the negotiation between the government team led by His Excellency Government Udom Gabriel Emmanuel and the leadership of the NUT led by Comrade Edet O. A. Emenyi on the 17th day of March 2022.
The following were the resolutions from the meeting:
- Immediate commencement of payment of leave grant for 2017 and 2018.
- Immediate commencement of payment of 0ne (1) month minimum wage arrears to primary schools teachers.
- Appointment of a Committee comprising of NUT, NLC and government representatives to dialogue on the template for
- The installmental payment of 2019, 2020 and 2021 leave grants to primary school teachers
- Payment of promotions arrears for six years: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 to primary schools teachers.
- Immediate commencement of 2019, 2020, 2021 promotion exercise to teachers
- Payment of 7.5% contributory pension refunds to teachers as soon as records are reconciled and other issues listed in the strike bulletin
The Akwa Ibom NUT wing also thanks the teachers, parents and students for showing understanding throughout the period of the strike. They also hopeful that government will keep their side of any agreements reached to avoid any other disruption of the school system.
Primary and secondary schools in Akwa Ibom State are directed to resume full academic activities from Monday, 21st March, 2022.