Eligible Degrees: Undergraduate, Master’s, PhD
Free Tuition for All Programs, and 750 Euros per month for undergraduate, 850 euros per month for Master’s, and 1,200 euros per month for PhD students
The scholarship application may be submitted anytime in the year. There is no application deadline.
Required Materials for DAAD Scholarships
Prospective undergraduate scholarship recipients must submit the following documents to the DAAD Portal to complete the application:
- Online application form from the DAAD Portal
- 3 Page Curriculum Vitae
- Academic and Personal Statement; “Letter of Motivation”
- Statement of Support and Credit Eligibility
- Study Abroad or Exchange Program Proof of Acceptance. Either a letter from mentor or formal invitation from a German university may qualify.
- Current College Transcripts scanned through the application portal.
- Signed Language Evaluation Form from a German Department faculty member. For students with no German language knowledge, submit the certificate and indicate “No knowledge of German”
- A signed original reference form and two copies from two separate faculty members in the major of study, sent by mail in a sealed envelope, or emailed directly by professor to firstname.lastname@example.org. In certain extenuating circumstances, a standard letter of recommendation may suffice.
- 3 page curriculum vitae
- 1-3 page Academic and Personal Statement and Project Plan
- Letter of Admission
- German Language Competency
- Listing of prior academic and research publications
- 2 letters of recommendation from senior academics
- 1 page abstract of research project
- 5-10 page description of research project
- Appropriate certifications such as PhD Diploma and Master degree certificate
The application is submitted online through the DAAD Portal, which opens approximately six weeks before the application is due. Paperwork must be completed in English, although an exception may be made for French speaking Canadians to hand in transcripts in French along with all other documents in English.
An independent selection committee reviews applications and determines graduate award recipients from criteria such as
- academic achievements
- convincing academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany
Recent PhD students who have completed a PhD or equivalent qualification in recent years are to be considered for the award, provided an appropriate Leibniz Institute can support their academic and research project.
List universities in Germany offering English courses
Here is a list of some of the most reputable universities in Germany offering English courses:
- Bremen University of Applied Sciences
- University of Bonn
- IUBH University of Applied Sciences
- Frankfurt School of Finance & Management
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Hochschule Bremen – International Graduate Center