JAMB Syllabus For Use of English 2022/2023: The aim of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) syllabus in Use of English is to guide the candidates in their preparation for the Board’s examination. It is designed to evaluate the candidates’ ability to:
- communicate effectively in both written and spoken English; and
- use the English Language for learning at the tertiary level.
2. The syllabus consists of three sections:
SECTION A: Comprehension/Summary
SECTION B: Lexis and Structure, and
SECTION C: Oral Forms
- JAMB Syllabus for Biology 2022/2023 – JAMB Syllabus PDF
- JAMB Syllabus for CRS 2022/2023 – JAMB Syllabus PDF
- JAMB Syllabus for Government 2022/2023 – JAMB Syllabus PDF
- JAMB Syllabus for Chemistry 2022/2023 – JAMB Syllabus PDF
- JAMB Syllabus for Physics 2022/2023 – JAMB Syllabus PDF
- JAMB Syllabus for Agricultural Science 2022/2023 – JAMB Syllabus PDF
- JAMB Syllabus for Economics 2022/2023 – JAMB Syllabus PDF
3. DETAILED SYLLABUS/CONTENTS
JAMB Syllabus For Use of English 2022/2023
|TOPICS/CONTENTS/NOTES||OBJECTIVES: Candidates should be able to:|
|A. Comprehension/Summary |
(i) Each of the two passages to be set (one will be a cloze test) should reflect various disciplines and be about 200 words long.
(ii) Questions on the passages will test the following: (a) Comprehension of the whole or part of each passage.
(b) Comprehension of words, phrases, clauses, sentences, figures of speech and idioms as used in the passages.
(c) Coherence and logical reasoning (deductions, inferences, etc).
(d) Sweet Sixteen, Bolaji Abdullahi
(e) Synthesis of ideas from the passages. By synthesis of ideas is meant the art of combining distinct or separate pieces of information to form a complete whole.
|i. identify main points/topic sentences in passages; |
ii. determine implied meaning;
iii. identify the grammatical functions of words, phrases, clauses and figurative /idiomatic expressions; iv. deduce or infer the writer’s intentions including mood, attitude to the subject matter and opinion.
|B. Lexis and Structure |
(d) clause and sentence patterns
(e) word classes and their functions
(f) mood, tense, aspect, number, agreement/concord, degree (positive, comparative and superlative) and question tags
(g) punctuation and spelling
(h) ordinary usage, figurative usage and idiomatic usage are to be tested.
NOTE: Idioms to be tested shall be those that are formal and expressed in standard British English.
|i. identify words and expressions in their ordinary, figurative and idiomatic contexts; |
ii. determine similar and opposite meaning of words; iii. differentiate between correct and incorrect punctuation and spelling;
iv. identify various grammatical patterns in use;
v. interpret information conveyed in sentences.
|C. Oral Forms |
(a) Vowels (monothongs and diphthongs)
(b) Consonants (including clusters)
(c) Rhymes (including homophones)
(d) Word stress (monosyllabic and polysyllabic)
(e) Intonation (words emphatic stress)
NOTE: Emphatic stress involves the placement of normal stress on words in an utterance for the purpose of emphasis.
|i. make distinctions between vowel types; |
ii. differentiate between consonant types;
iii. identify correct accentuation in individual words and connected speech.
D. THE STRUCTURE OF THE EXAMINATION
SECTION A: Comprehension/Summary
(a) 1 comprehension passage – 5 questions
(b) I cloze passage – 10 questions
(c) 1 reading text – 10 questions
SECTION B: Lexis and Structure
(a) Sentence interpretation – 5 questions
(b) Antonyms – 5 questions
(c) Synonyms – 5questions
(d) Sentence completion – 10 questions
SECTION C: Oral Forms
Total: 60 questions
JAMB Syllabus For Use of English 2022/2023 Recommended Texts
- Attah, M. O. (2013). Practice in Spoken English for Intermediate and Advanced Learners, Maiduguri: University of Maiduguri Press.
- Bamgbose, A. (2002). English Lexis and Structure for Senior Secondary Schools and colleges (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Banjo, A. et al (2004). New Oxford Secondary English Course Book Six for Senior Secondary Schools, Ibadan: UP Plc.
- Caesar, O. J. (2003). Essential Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Lagos: Tonad Publishers Limited
- Daniel Jones (2011). Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Egbe, D. I (1996). Mastering English Usage and Communication Skills, Lagos: Tisons
- Elugbe, B. (2000). Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Ibadan: Heinemann
- Grant, N. J. H, Nnamonu, S. Jowitt, D. (1998). Senior English Project 3, (New Edition) Harlow: Longman
- Idowu, O. O, Sogbesan, T. S, Adofo, A. K. Burgess, D. F and Burgess, L. J. (1998). Round-up English: A Complete Guide, Lagos: Longman
- Idris, U. (2001). Oral English at Your Fingertips for Schools and Colleges, Lagos, M. Youngbrain Publishers
- Igiligi, E. C. and Ogenyi, S. O. (2010) Grammar and Composition in the G.S.M. Age, Enugu: Joe Hills Production Services
- Jauro, L. B. (2013). Oral English for Schools and Colleges: A teaching and Learning Approach, Yola: Paraclete Publishers.
- Nnamonu, S. and Jowitt, D. (1989). Common Errors in English, Lagos: Longman
- Obinna, M. F. (2001). University Matriculation Use of English,(Fourth Edition) Port Harcourt: Sunray Books Limited
- Ogunsanwo, O. Duruaku, A. B.C, Ezechukwu, J and Nwachukwu, U. I (2005). Countdown English Language, (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Evans
- Olatoye, S. (2006). The Silent Teacher, Ado-Ekiti: Segun and Sons Enterprises
- Oluikpe, B. O. A, Nnaemeka, B. A, Obah, T. Y, Otagburuagu, E. J. Onuigbo, S. and Ogbonna, E. A. (1998).
- Intensive English for Senior Secondary School 3, Onitsha: Africana – FIRST Publisher
- Tomori, S. H. O (2000). Objective Tests for School Certificate English: Practice in Lexis, Structure and Idiom (Reprinted Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Ukwuegbu, C, Okoro, O., Idris, A. U., Okebukola, F. O. and Owokade, C. O. (2002). Catch-up English for SSCE/UME, Ibadan: Heinemann
- Okediran W. (2019) Strange Encounters. Ibadan: HEBN Publishers Plc.
- Adamu K.U. (2010) Hope In Anarchy. Ibadan: University Press Plc.
JAMB Syllabus For Use of English 2022/2023: For more information about your UTME visit https://www.jamb.gov.ng/